A Sense of Arrival
We want to create a more beautiful entrance to Hilton Head Island along William Hilton Parkway (U.S. Route 278), from Jenkins Island Bridge to the Spanish Wells Road.
The Hilton Head Island Entry Beautification Project, Inc. was initiated by the Transportation Committee of the Greater Island Council of Hilton Head Island & Bluffton to provide an attractive welcome area for visitors entering the Island. On March 7, 2013, the Greater Island Council endorsed the project and encouraged us to proceed with appropriate public and private presentations in order to obtain broad support and participation by the local community.
Before proceeding with the project we will seek: (a) property owner easement approvals, (b) the Town of Hilton Head Island’s commitment to ongoing maintenance of landscape enhancements, and (c) a landscape “Encroachment Permit” from the South Carolina Department of Transportation. The project will be carried out under State supervision.
Potential Beautification Enhancements Include:
• Creation of an enhanced “gateway” to the island including new signage and planting extending out to both sides of Highway 278 to provide visitors with a grand arrival. Signage is proposed to include a shell monument wall with teak cap, raised cast bronze letters, and a cascading staircase fountain.
• Expanded median and shoulder plantings throughout the gateway corridor to create a consistent, exciting streetscape. Plant selections may include bald sandcord grass, variegated yucca, oleander, crape myrtles, and a wide variety of other lush and vibrant plantings.
• Lengthening of guardrails on the bridge spanning the Intracoastal Waterway to allow for the planting of palms and other accent vegetation at the foot of the bridge. Opportunities for public art installations at many prominent locations, including the intersection of Highway 278 and Squire Pope Road and various waterfront settings.
• Opportunities for public art installations at many prominent locations, including the intersection of Highway 278 and Squire Pope Road and various waterfront settings.
• Select thinning of vegetation on Town of Hilton Head owned land to improve key views to the marsh.
Project Cost Estimates
Phase One - Entry Beautification……………........$750,000
Phase Two - Segment 1…………….………..............….$370,000
Phase Three - Segment 2……………..........……...….$637,000
Total Entry Beautification Project Costs…...$1,757,000
© 2014 Hilton Head Island Entry Beautification Project, Inc.